Under-21 competition’s focus on technicality, physicaility and intensity gives a taste of the first-team experience
Premier League 2 is a competition that replaced the Under-21 Premier League from năm nay / 17, with a greater focus on technicality, physicality và intensity Khủng bring players as close as possible lớn first-team experience .
It is part of a suite of competitions that aims Khủng best prepare players bự make the transition lớn senior football. This includes a variety of domestic cup competitions, matches involving senior opposition ( such as through the EFL Trophy ) & competitions against international peers which will return for the ae888. com
/ 23 season in expanded formats, following the Covid-19 pandemic .
The age nhóm for players from the 2022 / 23 season is Under-21, changing from Under-23 as a reflection of the reality of the age of players in the competition, where the current average is 19 .
The change comes as part of an ongoing reviews of the Elite Player Performance Plan ( EPPP ) Khủng better align with the EFL Trophy và international competitions .
The league is formed of two tiers, with 14 teams in Division một & 11 sides in Division 2, và the factor of promotion & relegation .
The 25 clubs who compete each applied for ” Category One ” status in the Elite Player Performance Plan ( EPPP ). There are 18 clubs from the Premier League, six from the Championship & one from League One .
All players born after một January 2001 are eligible lớn play in the 2022 / 23 season. The định hình is as follows :
- There are 14 teams in Division 1 and 11 in Division 2, with every club playing each other once at home and once away
- In Division 1, the team who finish first are champions
- The bottom two teams in Division 1 are relegated to Division 2
- In Division 2, the league winners get automatic promotion to Division 1
- Teams ranked second to fifth go into a promotion playoff. Second plays fifth at home while the third-placed team host fourth in the semi-finals, both at the club’s main stadiums. The final takes place at the home ground of the team who finished highest in the league
- All playoff matches are one-off ties, decided by extra-time and then penalties if the match is level after 120 minutes
- There is no relegation from Division 2
Other rules include:
- Each team can field a goalkeeper over the age limit and up to five “over-age” outfield players in every match
Premier League 2 Division 1 winners
2021/22 Manchester City
2020/21 Manchester City
2015/16 Manchester United
2014/15 Manchester United
2012/13 Manchester United
Premier League Division 2 winners
2020/21 Leeds United
2019/20 West Ham United
2018/19 Wolverhampton Wanderers
2017/18 Blackburn Rovers
2016/17 Swansea City
2015/16 Derby County