By Mike Simpson
When it comes to warehouse clubs, Costco is easily one of the biggest names in the game. In 2019 alone, the retail colossus raked in $ 152.7 billion in sales. To put that in perspective, that ’ s more than the gross national products ( GDPs ) of Iceland, Panama, and Tanzania, combined. Talk about a retail powerhouse .
Plus, the company is considered one of the best retail employers around. Its retention rate is about 94 percent, which is astonishing (especially compared to retail and wholesale sector retention average of a measly 39.5 percent).
What does that mean ?
Everyone wants to work there, and vacancies don ’ thyroxine happen a draw, that ’ s what. To put it plainly, the hire landscape is shockingly competitive.
Does that mean you should panic before you head in to face Costco one nterview questions ? absolutely not. You just have to make certain you ’ ra prepared to electrify the lease coach .
How to Answer Costco
Costco couldn ’ t have achieved so a lot achiever without the serve and accompaniment of its approximately 254,000 employees. Since Costco has a reputation for offering exceeding customer service to its 98.5 million members, they take hiring so seriously, it ’ second intimidate. If you don ’ thyroxine see you as the brightest light bulb in the pack, you might get passed over .
so, how do you show them that you ’ re the discharge the team needs ? With the shiniest scheme potential, that ’ s how .
now, it ’ randomness important to note that not all Costco consultation questions are universal. Many of them are position-dependent. Every role requires different capabilities, so what works for one subcontract might not work then well for another .
But that doesn ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate mean you can ’ thyroxine prepare for YOUR Costco consultation. You good need to know what the hire director is looking for. What ’ s a big way to learn that ? By reviewing the lighthouse in the darkness that is the job description.
Every job description outlines what it takes to handle a subcontract ’ s effect responsibilities. That little package of paragraph is a beacon, describing the exact skills and qualities the hiring manager wants to find. Read the must-haves list and other details. in truth take all of the information in .
nowadays, reflect on your experience. What have you done before that shows you can handle that Costco job? Gather together relevant examples ( achiever stories ) and know them inside and extinct. That room, you can talk about them with relief when the clock comes ( oh, and it will come ) .
MIKE’S TIP: Don ’ t have a great example from a by job ? That ’ second approve. There are a long ton of early options that work precisely a well. Volunteer positions, internships, group assignments at school, extracurricular clubs, and plenty of others are capital alternatives. Just make certain the core message keeps the exercise relevant. If that ’ s true, then where it came from credibly won ’ triiodothyronine matter .
once you hone in on your skills and experience, it ’ south time to take your Costco interview to the adjacent horizontal surface. Without a doubt, you ’ re going to spend some time answering behavioral interview questions. You can ’ t get away with a simple “ yes ” or “ no ” here. These types of questions are going to be open-ended, so you ’ ll necessitate much more than that .
Crafting a winning solution international relations and security network ’ t necessarily hard. You just need the right technique. think of it this way, aren ’ metric ton chilling stories so much more playfulness with that flashlight under your chin ? Thought so. The STAR method can be that flashlight. Let lets you add something especial to your answers, making them engaging .
But you need to keep going. You need to make sure your responses are highly relevant, besides. Just as chilling stories about forest monsters are more terrorization when told by a campfire in the woods alternatively of in a know room, your interview answers are more knock-down when they fit the site. With the Tailoring Method, you personalize your responses based on the lease director ’ sulfur needs. You ’ rhenium customizing your approach for the biggest impingement, and that ’ ll increase your odds of success .
We besides wanted to let you know that we created an amazing free cheat sheet that will give you word-for-word answers for some of the toughest interview questions you are going to face in your approaching interview. After all, hiring managers will frequently ask you more generalize interview questions along with their Costco particular questions !
Click downstairs to get your loose PDF now :
Get Our Job Interview Questions & Answers Cheat Sheet!
FREE BONUS PDF CHEAT SHEET: Get our “ Job Interview Questions & Answers PDF Cheat Sheet “ that gives you “ word-word sample answers to the most common job interview questions you’ll face at your next interview .
CLICK HERE TO GET THE JOB INTERVIEW QUESTIONS CHEAT SHEET
Top 3 Costco Interview
deep dive into the occupation description ? Check. Winning scheme for behavioral consultation questions ? Check. What else could you need ? Why amaze examples, of course .
even if you have the justly techniques and hone your consultation skills, it never hurts to see how you can put those tips to work. here are the circus tent three Costco interview questions and an exercise of how to answer each one .
1. If you are working on a
high-priority task and a customer approaches you looking for help, what do you
Most Costco employees have a range of responsibilities. They might store shelves, manage killing, give out samples, take inventory, work the cash read, and much more .
The trick with Costco is, the customer is always phone number one. Hiring managers ask questions like this to make sure they find candidates who understand that simple fact .
“ If I was approached by a customer, I would immediately pause what I ’ megabyte doing and give them my full care. ultimately, customer overhaul always comes first, so I ’ meter going to listen to their needs, above all else. once I understand what they require, I ’ ll offer the appropriate kind of aid, tied if it takes me aside from the high-priority task for a moment. After I have the customer squared away, I ’ ll return and give that activity my full attention once more. ”
Read more: Top 3 interview with questions in 2022
2. When there’s a lull in
your day, what do you do?
While Costco is a fast-paced environment, that doesn ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate mean there won ’ thymine be the periodic lull. Hiring managers favor self-motivated, passionate individuals who can remain productive at all times, even when they have their assigned tasks completed .
“ A lull is the arrant time to handle everyday work that needs to be covered. For model, in my former function, when I was working in the apparel section, I would focus on tasks like refolding items, organizing invest on racks, and differently ensuring the sphere was in tip-top shape. If there wasn ’ t something that could use attention, I would reach out to my supervisory program or coworkers, letting them know that I am available to assist in any way that could be helpful. ”
3. Tell me about a time on
the job that now, looking back, you wish you’d handled your customer service
responsibilities better. What would you do differently this time?
Customer service is a slippery thing, and no one handles the challenges absolutely every unmarried time. With this question, the rent director is looking for a few things. First, they want to know if you ’ ll be honest and accountable. Being able to admit that you aren ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate perfect is a good signal in their eyes, then keep that in mind .
Second, they want to know that you can learn from your mistakes and that you are self-conscious. These are valuable traits, and this is a way for the lease director to figure out if you have them .
“ In a former function, I had an emotionally tax day. When I was approached by a customer toward the goal, I didn ’ t have the best attitude while assisting them. My responses may have been a moment brusque and weren ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate in cable with my distinctive standard. I could tell the customer noticed and did try to adjust my attitude once I realized I wasn ’ triiodothyronine being my best. however, I learned from that experience. today, I constantly take a beat before responding to a customer, and if I could go back, I ’ vitamin d consumption that proficiency nowadays. even a brief second allows me to check myself, ensuring I don ’ triiodothyronine let past frustrations to influence the new interaction. It only takes a here and now but give me an opportunity to refocus, enabling me to offer the customer the best experience potential. ”
30 More Costco Interview
here are 30 more Costco interview questions many prospective employees face :
- Why do you want to work at Costco?
- What do you know about Costco?
- Can you give me an example of when you demonstrated leadership on the job?
- Tell me about your experience with cash registers/meat cutters/other job-specific tools, or equipment?
- Describe a time when you had to work closely with a team to complete a project.
- How do you react to constructive criticism?
- What’s your definition of great customer service?
- Tell me about a time when you had to assist a difficult customer. How did you handle the situation?
- Can you and a coworker were in conflict? What was the issue? How did you address the situation?
- How would you define “a sense of urgency?”
- If you noticed a coworker was being lazy on the job, what would you do?
- How would you handle it if you saw a coworker stealing something worth $1?
- Describe a time when you went above and beyond purely in the name of customer service.
- Can you tell me about an incident where you made a mistake and had to face the fallout? What was the outcome?
- What do you think sets Costco apart from its competitors?
- If a customer became hostile, how would you handle the situation?
- Name one trait that you bring to the table that you think will be the biggest benefit to the team?
- When given two high-priority tasks, how do you decide where to start?
- If you were assisting a customer and a second customer approached as requested your help, what would you do?
- Are you at your best when working with a team or when working independently?
- What do you think is the most important responsibility of employees working in the [position] role?
- Describe a time when attention-to-detail was critical. How did you make sure that you remained focused and accurate?
- If a customer tried to make a return but wasn’t eligible to do so, how would you handle the interaction?
- What would you do if a customer didn’t have a membership card when they were checking out?
- Can you tell me about your availability?
- If you are asked to handle a task and don’t know how to proceed, what do you do?
- When counting out your till you realize it’s $0.56 short. What do you do?
- If a customer accused you of demonstrating bad customer service, how would you react?
- As a customer is checking out, you notice that an item is ringing up high. The customer doesn’t seem to have spotted the issue. What do you do?
- What would you do if a customer insisted on using manufacturer coupons (which are not accepted at Costco) during checkout?
5 Good Questions to Ask at
the End of a Costco Interview
When you ’ re wrapping up your Costco interview, you ’ ll typically have an opportunity to ask the hire coach some questions. It ’ s a great opportunity to learn more about the function and whether it ’ s right for you. On top of that it shows how interest you are in the position. Always make a point of asking a few questions ! If you have no estimate what you should ask, here are five that cultivate for closely all occasions :
- What is the most important part of this position’s responsibilities?
- How do you measure success in this role? What can the new hire do to exceed your expectations?
- Do your top performers have any traits in common? If so, what are they?
- What part of this job has the steepest learning curve? How can a new hire prepare to ensure they can reach full productivity quickly?
- What makes Costco an employer of choice in your eyes?
Putting It All Together
When push comes to shove, any Costco interview can be a snatch nerve-racking. But, by using the tips above, you can arrive train .
You ’ re a capital candidate ; it ’ sulfur true. All you have to do is show it. Shine bright like a light at the goal of the burrow. You could be the solution the hire coach ’ s been waiting for, so take a deep hint and move ahead with confidence .
As constantly, good fortune !
free: Job Interview Questions & Answers PDF Cheat Sheet!
Download our “ Job Interview Questions & Answers PDF Cheat Sheet “ that gives you word-for-word sample answers to some of the most common interview questions including:
- What Is Your Greatest Weakness?
- What Is Your Greatest Strength?
- Tell Me About Yourself
- Why Should We Hire You?
- And more!
Click Here To Get The Job Interview Questions & Answers Cheat Sheet
Check out our other articles in our Company Specific Interview Series:
Co-Founder and CEO
Co-Founder and CEO of TheInterviewGuys.com. Mike is a job consultation and career adept and the head writer at TheInterviewGuys.com.
Read more: Top 6 questions to ask at interview in 2022
His advice and insights have been shared and featured by publications such as Forbes, Entrepreneur, CNBC and more adenine well as educational institutions such as the University of Michigan, Penn State, Northeastern and others .
Learn more about The Interview Guys on our About Us page .