We have organized the most normally asked Microsoft Excel Interview Questions and Answers that will help you prepare for the MS Excel interview questions and answers that an interviewer might ask you during consultation. In this list of MS Excel interview questions, we have covered all frequently asked basic Excel interview questions to advanced Excel interview questions with detail answers to help you clear the job interview.
Following are the most significant Excel interview questions and answers for freshers candidates and experienced candidates to help prepare for the approaching interview. This detailed guide of Microsoft Excel interview questions will help you to crack your Job interview for Software Testing .
Basic & Advanced MS Excel Interview Questions and Answers
1) What is Microsoft Excel?
Microsoft Excel is an electronic spreadsheet lotion that enables users to store, organize, count and manipulate the data with formulas using a spreadsheet organization broken up by rows and column. It besides provides the flexibility to use an external database to do analysis, make reports, etc. therefore saving lots of clock time .
2) What is ribbon?
Ribbon refers to the topmost area of the application that contains menu items and toolbars available in MS-Excel. Ribbon can be shown/hidden using CTRL+F1. The decoration runs on the top of the application and is the refilling for the toolbars and menu. The ribbons have versatile tabs on the circus tent, and each yellow journalism has its own group of commands.
3) Explain Spreadsheet and its Basics.
spreadsheet can be compared to a paper ledger sheet. It consists of rows and columns and their overlap called cells .
4) How many data formats are available in Excel? Name some of them.
Eleven data formats are available in Microsoft Excel for data Storage. exemplar :
- Number – Stores data as a number
- Currency – Stores data in the form of currency
- Date – Data is stored as dates
- Percentage – Stores numbers as a percentage
- Text Formats – Stores data as string of texts
5) Specify the order of operations used for evaluating formulas in Excel.
The order of operations in Microsoft Excel is lapp as in standard mathematics. It ’ s defined by the term “ PEMDAS ” or “ BEDMAS ” .
- Parentheses or Brackets
6) How can you wrap the text within a cell?
You must select the text you want to wrap, and then click wrap text from the home tab and you can wrap the text within a cell .
7) Explain Macro in MS-Excel.
Macros are used for iterating over a group of tasks. Users can create macros for their customize repetitive functions and instructions. Macros can be either written or recorded depending on the user .
8)Which are the two macro languages in MS-Excel?
XLM and VBA ( Visual Basic Applications ). Earlier versions of Excel used XLM. VBA was introduced in Excel 5 and by and large used now .
9) Is it possible to prevent someone from copying the cell from your worksheet?
Yes, it is possible. To protect your worksheet from getting copied, you need to go into Menu legal profession > Review > Protect Sheet > Password. By entering a password, you can secure your sheet from getting copied by others.
10) What are charts in MS-Excel?
To enable graphic representation of the data in Excel, charts are provided. A user can use any graph type, including column, bar, line, proto-indo european, scatter, etc. by selecting an option from Insert tab key ’ s Chart group .
11) How can you sum up the Rows and Column number quickly in the Excel sheet?
By using SUM routine, you can get the entire sum of the rows and column, in an Excel worksheet .
12) Explain few useful functions in Excel.
Following are the functions available in Excel for manipulating the data :
- Math and Financial Functions – SQRT, DEGREE, RAND(), GCD
- Logical Functions – IF, AND, FALSE, TRUE
- Date and Time functions – NOW(), DATEVALUE(), WEEKDAY(NOW())
- Index Match – VLOOKUP and INDEX MATCH
- Pivot tables
13) What does a red triangle at the top right of a cell indicate?
The red triangle indicates that some comment is associated with the cell. Hover the shiner over it, and you can read the entire comment .
14) How can you add a new Excel worksheet?
To add a new Excel worksheet, you should insert worksheet yellow journalism at the bottomland of the shield .
15) What is the use of NameBox in MS-Excel?
name Box is used to return to a especial area of the worksheet by typing the image appoint or cell address in the name box .
16) How can you resize the column?
To resize the column, you should change the width of one column and then drag the boundary on the correct side of the column lead till the width you want. The other direction of doing it is to select the Format from the home yellow journalism, and in Format you have to select AUTOFIT COLUMN WIDTH under cellular telephone department. On clicking on this, the cell size will get formatted .
17) Explain pivot tables and its uses.
A pivot table is a joyride that allows for promptly summarization of big data. It automatically performs a screen, consider, total or modal of the data stored in the spreadsheet and displays result in another spreadsheet. It saves a set of time. Allows to link external data sources to our Excel.
18) What are three report formats that are available in Excel?
Following are the types of report formats
19) How would you provide a Dynamic range in “Data Source” of Pivot Tables?
To provide a dynamic range in “ Data Source ” of Pivot tables, first, create a name range using offset function and base the pivot table using a named scope created in the first footprint .
20) Is it possible to make Pivot table using multiple sources of data?
If the multiple sources are unlike worksheets, from the lapp workbook, then it is possible to make Pivot table using multiple sources of data .
21) Which event do you use to check whether the Pivot Table is modified or not?
To check whether the pivot table is modified or not we use “ PivotTableUpdate ” in worksheet containing the pivot postpone .
22) How can you disable automatic sorting in pivot tables?
To disable automatic sort in pivot tables :
Go To > More Sort Options > Right Click ‘ Pivot tables ’ > Select ‘ sort menu ’ > select ‘ More Options ’ > deselect ‘ Sort mechanically ’ .
23) What is Freeze Panes in MS-Excel?
To lock any row or column, freeze panes is used. The lock row or column will be visible on the screen even after we scroll the plane vertically or horizontally .
24) What could you do to stop the pivot table from loosing the column width upon refreshing?
Format loss in a pivot table can be stopped simply by changing the pivot table options. Under the “ Pivot Table Options ” turn on the “ Enable Preserve Formatting ” and disable “ Auto Format ” choice .
25) Explain workbook protection types in Excel.
Excel provides three ways to protect a workbook :
- Password protection for opening a workbook
- Protection for adding, deleting, hiding and unhiding sheets
- Protection from changing size or position of windows.
Read more: Top 3 interview with questions in 2022
26) Explain the difference between SUBSTITUTE and REPLACE function in MS-Excel?
The SUBSTITUTE routine substitutes one or more instances of old textbook with the new text in a string .
Syntax: SUBSTITUTE ( textbook, oldText, newText, [ instanceNumber ] )
Example: Let textbook at A2 be Guru99, Guru99
SUBSTITUTE ( A2, ” 9″, ” 8″,1 ) = > Guru89, Guru99
SUBSTITUTE ( A2, ” 9″, ” 8″,2 ) = > Guru88, Guru99
SUBSTITUTE ( A2, ” 9″, ” 9″ ) = > Guru99, Guru99
The REPLACE affair swaps share of the text chain with another set of text .
Syntax: REPLACE ( oldText, startNumber, NumberCharacters, newText )
Example: Let textbook at A2 be Guru99
REPLACE ( A2,5,1, ” 00″ ) = > Guru009
27) Difference between COUNT, COUNTA, COUNTIF and COUNTBLANK in Ms-Excel.
COUNT is used to count cells containing numbers, dates, etc. any prize stored as number excluding blanks .
COUNTA or Count All is used to count any cell rate containing numbers, text, legitimate values, etc. any type of value excluding blanks .
COUNTBLANK count space cells or cells with an empty string .
COUNTIF and COUNTIFS count cells matching a certain criteria .
28) What is IF function in Excel?
To perform the logic test IF function is performed. It checks whether certain conditions is true or assumed. If the condition is true, then it will give solution consequently if the condition is false then the resultant role or out-put will be different .
Example : For exemplar, you select the cell, and you want to display that cell as “ Greater than five, ” when rate is true ( =5 or 5 ) and “ less than five ” when prize is false ( < 5 ). For that by using IF condition you can display solution . =IF ( legitimate test, value if truthful, respect if delusive ) =IF ( A1 > 5, “ Greater than five, “ Less than five ” )
29) Can we create shortcuts to Excel functions?
Yes. ‘ Quick Access Toolbar ’ above the dwelling button can be customized to display most frequently used shortcuts .
30) What is the use of LOOKUP function in Excel?
In Microsoft Excel, the LOOKUP function returns a value from a compass or an align .
31) How can you apply the same formatting to every sheet in a workbook in MS-Excel?
veracious Click ‘ Worksheet check ’ > Choose ‘ Select All Sheets ’. immediately any formatting done will be applied to the whole workbook. To apply to a particular group of sheets, select only those sheets that need formatting.
32) What are left, right, fill and distributed alignments?
Left /Right alignment align the textbook to left and veracious most of the cell .
Fill as the name suggests, fill the cell with lapp text repetitively .
Distributed, spread the text across the width of the cellular telephone .
33) To move to the previous worksheet and next sheet, what keys will you press?
To move to the previous worksheet, you will use the keys Ctrl + PgUp, and to move to the adjacent sheet you will use keys Ctrl + PgDown .
34) What filter will you use, if you want more than two conditions or if you want to analyze the list using database function?
You will use Advanced Criteria Filter, to analyze the tilt or if more than two conditions should be tested .
35) What is the quick way to return to a particular area of a worksheet?
The immediate way to return to a specific area of the worksheet is by using name box. You can type the cell address or range name in name box to return to a specific area of a worksheet .
36) Which function is used to determine the day of the week for a date?
WEEKDAY ( ) returns the day of the week for a especial date count from Sunday .
Example : Let date at A1 be 12/30/2016
WEEKDAY ( A1,1 ) = > 6
37) What is the benefit of using formula in Excel sheet?
Calculating the numbers in Excel sheet, not only help you to give the concluding ‘ sum up ’ of the number but, it besides calculates mechanically the number replaced by another total or digit. Through Excel sail, the building complex calculations become easy like payroll deduction or averaging the scholar ’ s result .
38) What is the “What If” condition in Excel formulas?
The “ What If ” condition is used to change the datum in Microsoft Excel formulas to give different answers .
example : You are buying a new car and want to calculate the claim sum of tax that will be levied on it then you can use the “ What If ” function. For case, there are three cells A4, B4, and C4. First cell says about the sum, the moment cell will tell about the share ( 7.5 % ) of tax and the concluding cell will calculate the exact amount of tax .
39) How can you disable the automating sorting in pivot tables?
To disable the automating screen in pivot tables ,
Go to > “ More Sort Options ” > Right Click “ Pivot mesa ” > Select “ Sort ” menu > Select “ More Options ” > Deselect the “ Sort automatically when the report is created. ”
40) What is the AND function does in Excel?
Like IF function, AND serve besides does the logical function. To check whether the output will be true or false the AND function will evaluate at least one mathematical formulation located in another cell in the spreadsheet. If you want to see the end product of more than one cells in a single cell, it is potential by using AND affair .
example : If you have two cells, A1 and A2, and the value you put in those two cells are > 5 and you want result should display as ‘ TRUE ’ in cellular telephone B1 if value > 5, and ‘ False ’ if any of those values < 5. You can use AND function to do that . 41) How cell reference is useful in the calculation?
In order to avoid writing the datum again and again for calculating purpose, cell reference point is used. When you write any formula, for specific function, you need to direct Excel the specific location of that datum. This location is referred as, cell reference book. thus, every prison term a newly value added to the cell, the cell will calculate according to the reference cell formula .
Prep Up For your Job Interview ! ! ! Go through Microsoft Excel Training Tutorial to be well organize.
Read more: Top 4 questionnaires for interview in 2022
This detail MS Excel interview questions pdf will help you to clear the doubts about Microsoft Excel interview questions and will besides help you to crack the interview .
free PDF Download : Microsoft Excel Interview Questions & Answers