This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy .
This comfortable Chicken Souvlaki recipe is made with a simple lemon garlic herb marinade, it can be easily cooked in the oven or on the grill, and it ’ s absolutely delectable when loaded up with all of your front-runner toppings !
Over the past few months, I ’ ve had a few items cryptically “ melt ” after unloading them on the dine room board after a slip to the memory. A bag of freeze peas…a package of corn tortillas…a nosh pack of almonds…a few mints…ALL GONE. ( Oh, and 6 packages of dry beans apparently sampled and rejected and scattered all around the dining room like thousands of pieces of confetti excessively, barely for fun. ) This was a trade name new predicament for my little family.
Reading: Chicken Souvlaki
But I had one choice suspect .
surely adequate, the testify proved ( regretful, tmi ) that he was, in fact, very guilty. And besides, thankfully very active after his tabletop raids. But still…very full, and very guilty .
That said, though, the plat thickened this workweek. And I learned that I may have given him an unfair share of the blame, because new evidence has confirmed that Henry may in fact have…an accomplice !
I had brought home all of the ingredients to make this Chicken Souvlaki for dinner, including a fresh new bag of pita. And, per my new substance abuse, I intentionally unloadeded the bags of groceries on the improbable, non-accessible-to-an-11-lb-dog countertop, when I had to buzz out to a meet before putting the rest of the groceries off. And sure adequate, a few hours late I came home plate to Henry and his much improbable ally, Fiona waiting for me, both happily snoozing in a carb coma with two very full bellies, and the pita promotion literally sitting on the floor just a animal foot away from them .
apparently, you can teach honest-to-god dogs modern tricks. Or they can teach themselves…especially when some delightful pita bread is involved .
Ha, safe to say, I ’ ve now become flush more disciplined about putting my groceries completely away immediately. And Henry and Fiona and I have had some long chats about making good decisions. And of course, I did end up making a special trip back to the store to pick up more bread, because these Chicken Souvlaki pitas were just begging to be made .
How To Make Chicken Souvlaki | 1-Minute Video
I ’ molarity guessing most of you are familiar with this greek classic. But did you know that it ’ sulfur actually super easy to make at home ? ! All you need are a few minutes of homework time, a few simple ingredients, and a hot grill or a hot oven. And — opa ! — this recipe can be fix to enjoy in no fourth dimension .
Simply marinate some wimp breasts in lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, marjoram, salt and pepper. ( < – You can either cut them into bite-sized pieces and pop them on some skewers, or cook the wimp breasts whole and dice them up later. )
then once they have marinated for at least 30 minutes ( or up to 1 day ), cook them in the oven or on the grillroom until they ’ re just done, and hush dainty and juicy .
then, while the chicken is cooking, grab some pita bread ( presuming it hasn ’ metric ton “ disappeared ” ), and burden it up with all of your favored pita toppings ! I went with fresh rocket, cerise tomatoes, red onion, feta tall mallow, tzatziki sauce, and parsley. But any numeral of toppings ( like roasted crimson peppers, diced cucumbers, Kalamata olives, other greens, etc. ) would besides be delicious !
ultimately, add your chicken on top…
…and this gorgeous, newly, and flavorful pita sandwich will be yours to enjoy .
And hey — pro tiptoe — it tastes delectable even when the chicken is chilled. sol be certain to cook a fiddling extra, and then you can enjoy your souvlaki as leftovers for days to come either on pita, or in a fresh salad, or in a rice roll — you name it .
Enjoy, everyone !
Printclock clock iconcutlery cutlery iconflag flag iconfolder folder iconinstagram instagram iconpinterest pinterest iconfacebook facebook iconprint print iconsquares squares iconheart heart iconheart solid heart solid icon
Read more: Making Pasta With Alfredo Sauce From A Jar
- homework fourth dimension : 12 minutes
- cook clock time : 8 minutes
- sum time : 20 minutes
- yield :
This Chicken Souvlaki recipe is easy to cook in the oven or on the grill, and tastes DELICIOUS when loaded up in a pita with all of your darling toppings !
- 1.5 pounds uncooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces*
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil*
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- juice of 1 large fresh lemon
- for serving: pita bread, fresh baby arugula (or chopped Romaine), thinly-sliced red onions, sliced cherry tomatoes, crumbled feta cheese, chopped fresh parsley, tzatziki sauce
- Combine chicken pieces, garlic, olive oil, oregano, salt, black pepper and lemon juice in a large ziplock bag or mixing bowl, and toss until the chicken is evenly coated. Seal/cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes, or up to 1 day.
- Remove chicken from bag/bowl, and discard the leftover marinade. Thread chicken onto skewers**.
- To Cook Chicken On The Grill: Preheat grill to medium-high. Place skewers on the grill and cook for 6-8 minutes, turning once, until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink inside. Transfer skewers to a separate plate, and set aside.
- To Cook Chicken In The Oven: Preheat broiler, and place the rack about 5-6 inches from the top of the oven. Place skewers on a large baking sheet, and broil for 6-8 minutes, turning once, until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink inside. Transfer skewers to a separate plate, and set aside.
- To assemble the chicken souvlaki pitas, lay a piece of pita bread out on a flat surface, and top it with a few pieces of chicken and your desired toppings and tzatziki sauce. Serve immediately.
*I recommend using traditional olive anoint for this recipe, not extra virgo olive anoint, since it has a higher smoke steer .
**If using wooden skewers, be indisputable to soak them completely in water for at least 30 minutes before cooking indeed that they do not burn .
share this post