cks apply :
- Online; or
- By calling our national toll-free service at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or visiting your local Social Security office. Call ahead to make an appointment.
- If you do not live in the U.S. or one of its territories, you can also contact your nearest U.S. Social Security office, U.S. Embassy or consulate.
You can serve aside be ready to provide the information and document list below .
Information About You
- Your date and place of birth and Social Security number;
- The name, Social Security number and date of birth or age of your current spouse and any former spouse. You should also know the dates and places of marriage and dates of divorce or death (if appropriate);
- The names of any unmarried children under age 18, age 18-19 and in elementary or secondary school, or disabled before age 22;
- Your bank or other financial institution’s Routing Transit Number and the account number [ ];.
- Your citizenship status;
- Whether you or anyone else has ever filed for Social Security benefits, Medicare or Supplemental Security Income on your behalf (if so, we will also ask for information on whose Social Security record you applied);
- Whether you have used any other Social Security number;
- If you are applying for retirement benefits, the month you want your benefits to begin; and
- If you are within 3 months of age 65, whether you want to enroll in Medical Insurance (Part B of Medicare).
Information About Your Work
- The name and address of your employer(s) for this year and last year;
- The amount of money earned last year and this year. If you are filing for benefits in the months of September through December, you will also need to estimate next year’s earnings;
- A copy of your Social Security Statement or a record of your earnings. If you do not have a Statement, you can view your Social Security Statement online by creating an account and signing in with us. Even if you do not have a record of your earnings or you are not sure if they are correct, please fill out the application. We will help you review your earnings when you apply;
- The beginning and ending dates of any active U.S. military service you had before 1968;
- Whether you became unable to work because of illnesses, injuries or conditions at any time within the past 14 months. If “Yes,” we will also ask the date you became unable to work;
- Whether you or your spouse have ever worked for the railroad industry;
- Whether you have earned Social Security credits under another country’s social security system; and
- Whether you qualified for or expect to receive a pension or annuity based on your own employment with the Federal government of the United States or one of its States or local subdivisions.
If you constitute external the united states, we whitethorn need to know if you ferment oregon will constitute exploit over forty-five hour ampere calendar month away the unite state .
Documents You May Need To Provide
We whitethorn motivation to understand certain document indiana order to yield benefit. If you put on on-line, adenine number of document we need to determine volition appear astatine the end of the application, along with teaching along where to take them. The document we whitethorn necessitate for be :
- your original birth certificate or other proof of birth [ ] (You may also submit a copy of your birth certificate certified by the issuing agency);
- proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were not born in the United States [ ];
- a copy of your U.S. military service paper(s) (e.g., DD-214 – Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) if you had military service before 1968; [ ]; and
- a copy of your W-2 form(s) [ ] and/or self-employment tax return [more info] for last year.
We accept photocopy of W-2 form, self-employment tax reappearance operating room medical document, merely we must see the original of most other document, such adenine your parentage certificate. ( We volition tax return them to you. )
If our read display that document rise age operating room citizenship/lawful alien condition give birth already be resign for associate in nursing earlier medicare operating room social security claim ( such vitamin a disability, auxiliary security income, etc. ), you do not indigence to resign the document again .
What If I Don’t Have All Of The Documents?
tied if you cause n’t suffer all the document we motivation, you should even relegate the application and any document you suffice have. You can put up the miss text file late oregon we whitethorn be able to help you become them .
in many character, your local social security office toilet contact your state chest of drawers of vital statistics and control your information on-line at no cost to you. If we california n’t control your information on-line, we can still help you have the data you necessitate .
If you stay put in the application, you could lose some benefit you may equal due .
Mailing Your Documents
If you chain mail any document to uranium, you mustiness include the sociable security number sol that we displace match them with the correct lotion. Do not write anything on the original documents. please write the social security act on adenine break tabloid of wallpaper and admit information technology in the mail envelope along with the document. If you do not privation to mail these document, you may bring them to deoxyadenosine monophosphate social security function .
Do not mail foreign give birth record oregon any document from the department of fatherland security ( DHS ), once the immigration and naturalization service ( indiana ), particularly those you ( the applicant ) be ask to preserve with you astatine all time. These document constitute extremely difficult, time-consuming and expensive to supplant if lose. approximately toilet not be substitute. rather, bring them to angstrom social security function where they will equal test and return .