Follow Up After an Interview
You are not done when the occupation interview is over. There is more to do to get you hired .
You have another opportunity to make an impression after an interview. This is when you follow up with a thank-you letter, note, or electronic mail. It should be personalized for each interview and include these chief ideas :
- State your appreciation for being considered for the job.
- Express your interest in employment.
- Summarize your qualifications.
- Provide any important information that you might not have covered in the interview.
- Add a final “thank you.”
- State your plan to follow up as previously agreed.
- Always address the letter to a specific person (instead of “Accounting Manager” for example).
- If you were interviewed by more than one person, either send a separate letter or note to each person or send a single letter to a key person and ask them to distribute it to everyone you spoke with. When sending more than one letter, tailor the message to each recipient.
- Send the letter or note as soon after the contact as possible, preferably the same day.
- You could send the thank-you note as an email message, if the interviewer uses email regularly. Otherwise, send either a printed letter or a hand-written note by mail. Make sure that your handwriting is clear and legible.
- Even if you were turned down for the job, use the thank-you letter to express your appreciation for being considered and your interest in future opportunities with the company.
Other Follow-up Actions
If you said you would provide extra information, make sure that you do. Note on your calendar when you said you would contact this employer again to learn of their lease decisiveness. Do n’t forget to make that contact .
Thank-You Letter Examples
Thank-you Letter Example #1
September 20, 2011
Human Resource Manager
111 Employment Way
Anytown, MN 55555
To Ms. Business :
Thank you for the opportunity to discuss the secretarial position this dawn. Our conversation gave me a better understand of ABC Company and the requirements of the job. The extra information from Max and Kathryn was helpful in gaining a better position of the position .
My firm office and interpersonal skills will decidedly make a contribution to your company. I am adept in all of the calculator software packages that you use and possess the customer serve feel that you want. I enjoyed meeting the office staff and touring the adeptness. This is clearly a choice organization with an stress on efficiency and a dedication to teamwork. I would consider it a privilege to join your team and look fore to hearing from you .
again, thank you for your meter and consideration .
2233 First Street
Anytown, MN 55555
( 555 ) 555-5555
Thank-you Letter Example #2
February 1, 2011
Dear Ms. Smith ,
Thank you for taking the prison term to discuss the accounting position with me. It was a joy meet you and Mr. Jones.
Read more: Top 4 for interview questions in 2022
Lund ‘s Industries sounds like the perfect target for me to use my skills, specially since you use the WXY organization. It is the same system I have been supporting the past three years. My test track criminal record and accomplishments with cost-efficient systems can be an asset to your company .
again, thank you for your circumstance. I look forward to hearing from you and to the possibility of joining your staff .
Thank-you Letter Example #3
February 29, 2011
Dear Mr. Jones,
Thank you for interviewing with me for the Accountant position today. I appreciate the information that you shared with me and enjoyed suffer Ms. Smith from the Accounting Department .
My matter to in working for Lund Industries is stronger than always, and based on your description of the placement, I know I can do a good job for you.
Read more: Top 7 the who interview questions in 2022
I will contact you by Tuesday of next week to learn of your decision. Again thank you for your clock and consideration .
reference : Adapted from creative Job Search, Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development