35 School Principal Interview Questions (and Example Answers)
35 School Principal Interview Questions (and Example Answers)
By indeed Editorial Team
Updated May 25, 2022 | Published February 4, 2020 Updated May 25, 2022 Published February 4, 2020TwitterLinkedInFacebookEmail This article has been approved by an indeed Career Coach. Related : top Interview Tips : common Questions, Body Language & More Looking for interview tips ? In this video, we dissect an stallion job interview from beginning to finish. We analyze everything from coarse interview questions to etiquette and how to follow up. effective principal leadership in a school can produce better end-of-year results on state and local exams, build a stronger and more positive campus acculturation, and create revolutionize child learners. Interviewing is one of the first base steps in acquiring a school principal position, and exuding professionalism is important to present yourself in a room that highlights your best attributes. As you prepare for your initial school principal interview, consider what type of questions you will be asked. By preparing and practicing answers to common questions, you can project confidence and make a great first stamp in your interview. In this article, we discuss an effective way to frame your responses, review some questions frequently posed at principal interviews and explore some example answers. Related : 21 Job Interview Tips : How To Make a great impression Related : How To Use the Star Method To Answer Behavioral Interview Questions In this video, Jenn explains the STAR Method and how to use it to answer behavioral interview questions .
STAR response technique
The STAR interview response proficiency serves as a frame of reference point and guide to help you successfully answer interview questions. The goal is to provide the interviewer with your skills and background to effectively communicate your qualifications. STAR is an acronym that stands for situation, task, natural process and result. When responding to questions, you can discuss the place of a report by contextualizing the position, describing your responsibility in the task, explaining the actions you took to handle the situation and recounting the results of your actions. Try presenting the consequence with quantifiable and measurable information to help convey the cocksure shock of your actions. Read more : How to Use the STAR Interview Response Technique
Each interview for a principal status will vary, as many questions are tailored to the speculate you are interviewing for. however, interviewers will typically ask some of the stick to general questions to find out more about you :
- What is your educational background ?
- Can you provide some data about your job history and experience ?
- What is your greatest accomplishment ?
- What motivates you ?
- Where do you see yourself in five years ?
- What are your greatest strengths ?
- Why do you feel you are a full candidate for this role ?
- What makes you alone ?
- Please describe your leadership style .
- How have you dealt with challenges, and what are some ways you have resolved them ?
- How do you work under pressure ?
Questions about experience and background
Interviewers may besides ask more particular questions about your anterior experience and your reactions to past situations to gain a stronger grok of your capabilities and leadership skills. Your responses are indicative of possible future behavior in similar situations, and they will reveal your effect values as a school chief .
- How would your former colleagues describe you ?
- What do you think is most authoritative to campus safety ?
- Describe a time when a situation needed to be handled with sensitivity and tact. What was the issue, how did you handle it and what was the consequence ?
- What advice would you give to new teachers during their first year ?
- Can you describe a fourth dimension when you had to give constructive feedback to an experienced teacher ?
- What do you feel is an adequate bill of scholar success within the classroom ?
- Can you describe what you see as you walk into your ideal elementary school classroom ?
- What has been one of your greatest contributions to the schools you have worked in ?
- What is the primary way you support teachers in their function as student advocates ?
- What is your approach to student discipline ?
These detailed questions require more think and specificity within the answer. Questions like these will verify background cognition on the individual campus, and your responses will show that you have already been formulating plans on how to improve the campus through your leadership function .
- What do you know about this campus ‘ improvement plan, and how can you contribute to it ?
- Can you describe your mind of an effective elementary school campus ?
- In what ways do you empower teachers to be leaders and character models for students ?
- How would you address teacher criticism of administrative patronize or a miss thereof ?
- How do you approach teacher evaluations, and what function do they have in student success ?
- What methods do you implement to help teachers improve their instructional methods, and what types of professional growth would you seek out for faculty ?
- What character do you see employee esprit de corps play in the success of a campus ?
- When dealing with students and discipline, at what point is it allow to involve parents, and how do you support them in helping students succeed in school and at family ?
- How do you build a positive educate culture or climate ? What would you implement at this campus to continue success ?
- How do you guarantee that each staff and faculty extremity understands their function in student and campus success, and what steps would you take to recognize individual contributions, efforts and accomplishments campus-wide ?
Read more : leadership Skills : Definitions and Examples
Interview questions with sample answers
here are some sample interview questions american samoa well as some case answers to help you prepare before an interview for a chief stead. Interviewers are concern in how your answers exemplify your skills and qualifications for the character. additionally, the interviewer is concerned in your ability to communicate clearly, be approachable and offer an engaging and memorable exchange. These aspects will express your quality leadership skills .
Can you describe your definition of quality and effective instruction?
The principal is the eruditeness drawing card of a school, and although the function has changed importantly over the years, the side was coined to describe the “ principal teacher ” within a campus. This broad and open-ended question addresses the star ‘s function as a learn drawing card and seeks to understand your teaching access and prefer educational practices. example : “ As a teacher many years ago, my star often approached me about the randomness level in my classroom. Although I did try to take steps to lower the randomness level, I am a firm believer that an active classroom is a learning one. Student-centered teach is an approach that emphasizes the action of learning on the learner preferably than on the capacity. I shared lessons with my colleagues and helped promote a community of learners among the teachers and students alike. Although the randomness flush in my classroom did n’t decrease, I did manage to help my campus recruit state examination scores by 20 %. ”
How have you resolved a conflict between adults on campus?
A question like this seeks to understand your notion of equality and your ability to positively resolve conflict. Your answer could include staff, staff, parents or visitors. As a drawing card, it is crucial to listen to all parties and seek common ground. When that is n’t possible, you must indicate that you have the skills to make unmanageable decisions and guide people evening when they disagree. model : “ In my former character as a steering counselor, I frequently had to mediate between parties who disagreed with one another. In one case that stands out in my take care, I had a parent who was diamond that her daughter ‘s teacher should give her daughter another opportunity to take a teacher-administered test she had already failed numerous times. The teacher was diamond that the class should stand. I listened carefully to all involved parties, and, after much discussion, we came to an sympathy that test anxiety was to blame for the student ‘s performance. We agreed on an surrogate means of assessment, and the scholar was able to show mastery of those skills. After working with the scholar on test-taking strategies, she was able to pass all her state of matter examination later in the class. ”
What steps can you take to support a safe learning environment for the campus?
School guard is at the vanguard of many educational conversations. As the campus leader, it is the chief ‘s responsibility to secure a safe determine environment for their students where their basic needs are met to maximize classroom prison term. case : “ When dealing with children specifically, it is crucial to educate them on forgivingness and positive polish. There are many different educational programs and models available to support and promote sociable awareness. I have implemented many of these programs in the past with great results. As principal of my previous campus, I reduced school referrals for strong-arm by 15 % and increase scholar leadership roles by 6 %. We besides implemented emergency drills to help students feel more convinced in the case of a substantial emergency. Knowing what to expect reduced scholar anxiety and helped them focus more on learning. ”
Can you explain a mistake you have made in the past and how you addressed it?
Humility is a characteristic of a strong leader. The ability to admit mistakes shows an sympathize of nature and a concentrate on learning—we teach best from our mistakes. Admitting and detailing a former error shows an ever-evolving focus to work toward success and improve as a leader. You can describe an honest score of when you realized an error in hindsight and how you worked to rectify it. If a rectify was not possible, you can indicate what you learned from that experience and how you would handle it differently in the future. example : “ stopping point year, I was in tear of organizing the senior dinner for our graduates. It is a time when faculty, staff, students and family gather to celebrate the graduates and wish them well. I am typically very detail-oriented but forgot to print out programs for the event. many guests and speakers were exhibiting anxiety over not knowing the length of the consequence or the club of awards. Although I was not able to print programs out on such shortstop notice, I did find an on-line platform where I was able to create a broadcast. I shared the link with guests via a scannable QR code, and they were able to see the order of events in that form. I learned to ask for help oneself when needed but to besides be flexible and forgive myself. This method turned out better than print and ultimately was more environmentally friendly. ”
Read more: 6 tips to help you prepare for an interview