This may seem like one of the more square of the most coarse interview questions you ’ ll play into .
Your answer to this motion is important because it ’ s a great opportunity to let the interviewer know of your accomplishments, your talents, and why you ’ re the most certified applicant for the position. You want to stand out from the herd with your solution.
The rent coach is going to be looking for one of two things in your answer : trying to figure out if you ’ rhenium arrant for the job, or if you absolutely won ’ thymine fit — so don ’ thymine be shy. here are some tips for answering this caper interview question, common mistakes to avoid when answer, and example answers to pull it all together .
Why Interviewers Ask the Question “What Is Your Greatest Strength?”
There are a few reasons why hire managers and recruiters normally ask this question. They aren ’ thymine looking for you to tell them about your excellent baking skills, or how well you can pick your illusion football team. here are some of the things are they are looking for when asking that question :
- To determine if your strengths align with the company’s needs. Like most questions you ’ ll hear at a job consultation, a rent director is trying to determine if your skill set is what ’ second required for the open problem. The strengths you mention better align with the job description, or you ’ ra not taking wide advantage of this question .
- Set you apart from other candidates. Every candidate has a different dress of strengths and weaknesses, and some are more or less significant to the company and the position they ’ re trying to fill. While two individuals may have the lapp resume, the room they talk about their strengths and weaknesses will help a company distinguish between the two .
- Test your self-assessment. Recruiters and lease managers are concern to see how self-conscious you are as an employee. The best employees are mindful of their strengths and leverage them to succeed in the workplace, while knowing when to seek help with their weaknesses .
How to Prepare Your Answer to “What Is Your Greatest Strength?”
It ’ randomness authoritative to bring up traits that qualify you for the specific job and make you stand out from everyone else .
Talking about your greatest forte gives interviewers a look into your personality, what you value as an employee, and what you think gives you an advantage over other applicants .
here are some tips to get you started thinking about how to answer this :
Mistakes to Avoid: What Not to Say to “What Is Your Greatest Strength?”
Before we get into exercise answers, here are some things you decidedly want to avoid in your answer :
- Rambling answers. We get it, you ’ re a super-talented individual with a hale constellation of strengths. That ’ second great, but keep your answer to this question ( and most other job interview questions ) concise. A great way to keep yourself from rambling is to practice what you want to say before the interview .
- Exaggerations or lies. The interviewer might look into your references and learn that you have no tangible basis for claiming the strengths you claimed. Plus, why lie to get a caper – it ’ s precisely going to be embarrassing for everyone when it turns out you ’ re not deoxyadenosine monophosphate skilled as you sold yourself to be .
Accidental weaknesses. If you tell a report about how you stepped up to the leadership placement and discovered you had some serious leadership electric potential, that ’ south capital .
But if your fib goes on about how you micromanaged every element of the stick out and were the sole reason for its success, you ’ ll look like a bigheaded twitch rather of the hero you ’ re trying to make yourself out to be. Employers are looking for team players and person who can work in a group .
Example Answers to “What Is Your Greatest Strength?” Interview Question
It ’ second important to think strategically about what specific skills will make you the most restricted person for the job. here are some examples of how you can use this interview to your advantage :
“What Is Your Greatest Strength?” Example Answer 1
“ I pride myself on my excellent time management skills, ability to self-edit, and my attention to contingent .
Working as a writer for a local anesthetic newspaper, I had to be able to effectively make use of my clock time in regulate to meet deadlines. My attention to detail and editing skills allowed me to produce clear and entertain content for a variety show of publications. ”
Why it’s good: This is a good answer because the candidate has mentioned soft skills ( meter management, self-editing, attention to detail ) ampere good as a hard skill ( writing ).
Read more: Top 6 questions to ask at interview in 2022
They have told a narrative about working for a local newspaper to show how they put those skills to use, while besides showing that they have written for several other publications .
Let ’ s precisely hope they don ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate pull out the manuscript for their fresh .
“What Is Your Greatest Strength?” Example Answer 2
“ I ’ m a highly organized and result-oriented individual with excellent communication skills .
With my background in teaching at a secondary degree, it was imperative that I was able to organize lessons, commune with and listen to my students, and motivate them to do well in my classes. Because of my proficiency with these skills, students in my classes had a passage rate of 96 percentage. ”
Why it’s good: This interviewee has besides successfully managed to mention a number of soft skills ( arrangement, result-oriented, communication ) arsenic well as a hard skill ( teaching ) .
They have told a short history about using their skills in their classroom and that these skills have led to the success of their students .
It wouldn ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate be a surprise to hear that every classify session ended with an applause of “ O ’ Captain, My Captain ” .
“What Is Your Greatest Strength?” Example Answer 3
“ I take big pride in my ability to resolve difficult situations, both internally and with customers. In my past roles in customer service, I ’ ve always attained a high gear rate of positive feedback and actually managed 100 % customer success reviews in the foremost quarter of 2020 .
I tie this back to my conflict resoluteness skills, my ability to be empathic to all parties, and my bent for staying calm under pressure. ”
Why it’s good: This person displays confidence in key skills necessary for a job in customer overhaul and backs it up with quantifiable accomplishments from the past. They bring in the soft skills that they attribute their by achiever to and show why they ’ five hundred be bang-up for the problem now .
When preparing your answer, use open-ended interview questions like this to make your reply memorable with stories. Remember that the real concern behind the greatest persuasiveness question ( and all the stay of the most common job interview questions ) is to determine whether or not you are the best person for the caper .
Use this wonder to your advantage and make yourself seem valuable as an employee with specific details. With some readiness and a small storytelling, you can take advantage of this question and leave a positive impression on your interviewer .
How utilitarian was this military post ? Click on a ace to rate it !
average evaluation / 5. vote count : No votes so far ! Be the first to rate this mail.
Read more: Top 12 interview questionnaires in 2022
Maddie Lloyd was a writer for the Zippia Advice blog focused on researching tips for interview, resume, and cover charge letter preparation. She ‘s presently a graduate scholar at North Carolina State University ‘s department of English concentrating in Film and Media Studies .