When meeting with potential new hires – specially in an industry a demanding as foodservice – it ’ south crucial to go beyond basic questions about have and truly try to get a feel for the campaigner, what motivates them, and whether they would fit in with your team .
here are 35 great questions to add to your interview list :
1. What are you excited about right now?
A healthy work-life balance is important, particularly for those in the food and beverage industry. Find out their passion and start building a personal association.
2. If you didn’t have to sleep 8 hours a night, what would you fill that time with?
Again, try to get them to open up about what goes on outside of work. What are their hobbies, what might they be putting off, what are their dreams ? The answers may surprise you .
3. What would you do in the event of a zombie apocalypse?
Ask something to remove the tension. It doesn ’ t have to be this claim interview, but be certain to have fun with your interview .
4. What draws you to foodservice?
Find out their why .
5. What interests you about this position at this restaurant?
immediately that you know their why, human body out why hera .
6. Have you dined at our establishment before?
If they have and have dependable things to say, it shows commitment and actual pastime. If they lie and it ’ s apparent they ’ rhenium shaky about their answer, it can tell you something about them arsenic well .
7. When was a time you went out of your way to really delight a guest?
The restaurant business is all about creating positivist experiences .
8. What do you hope to learn working here?
See if it ’ south all about a paycheck or if they have greater ambitions .
9. What’s your greatest strength?
No need to be humble or meek hera. Find out what sets them apart from others .
10. What does hospitality mean to you?
Get a feel for how they like to be treated and see how close their definition aligns with the actual definition and your own sight of cordial reception .
11. Tell me about the best boss you ever had.
The values they share about their best foreman are important to them and help you find out if they ’ re a culture fit .
12. Why are you leaving your current job?
Are they ambitious and loyal ? Or are they bouncing around for an supernumerary 50 cents an hour ?
13. If hired, how long do you plan on staying here?
A direct doubt that will help determine their intentions .
14. Do you have any food allergies?
easy question, but one you don ’ thymine want to forget to ask .
15. What hours are you available to work?
Another basic question, but dig deeper here and ask if there ’ s any reason those hours would change .
16. How do you feel about tip sharing?
If applicable of course. It ’ randomness better to be upfront about these things than create animosity later .
17. Do you have any mnemonic tools or tricks for remembering orders?
Get a good feel for their skills and have upfront .
18. Do you prefer working in a team or alone?
nothing amiss with wanting to work alone, but the answer could uncover whether they ’ re a team actor or not .
19. How do you handle people who aren’t pulling their weight?
Every workplace has that person. See if they ’ re creative in their solutions or take a leader ’ s set about. This could signify leadership material early on .
20. Tell me about the most difficult customer you ever had.
Find out how they handled it .
21. Are there people you’d refuse to serve?
prejudice is hush a trouble in the twenty-first century and a simple question like this can reveal a lot .
22. How would you handle a customer trying to use an expired coupon?
Every restaurant ’ s policy is different, but it ’ s a big indicator of how they react under pressure .
23. What’s the most common reason you’d be late for a shift?
even reliable and punctual employees are late from time to time. It ’ s good to call this out early and see how they handle it .
24. Tell me about a time you made a mistake on the job and how you went about fixing it.
Everyone makes mistakes – particularly in restaurants. See if they ’ rhenium able of recognizing flaws and if they work proactively to resolve them.
Read more: Top 6 questions to ask at interview in 2022
25. What questions do you have for us?
Always end a fiddling early so they can ask you questions. How cook they come and the quality of their questions can tell you a lot in a short come of prison term .
26. What are your career goals?
A few candidates may say that they cherish the opportunity to delight customers or that they want to own their own restaurant, but chances are they have other pursuits or are going to school on the side. Knowing a person ’ randomness ambitions makes it easier to motivate them .
27. How would you define being a “team player” in the restaurant industry?
A kitchen or restaurant is only a good as its weakest liaison, so it ’ second imperative that you get a feel for why they ’ rhenium here and how good they interact with others .
28. How would you resolve a conflict involving another coworker?
Restaurants employ all types of people, which can naturally lead to disagreements, feuds, and even fighting from time to meter. Help them formulate a design upfront thus you ’ re both on the same page as to how it ideally should get handled .
29. Would you consider yourself a patient person? If so, please explain.
The huge majority of candidates will answer yes. The explanation region is where you ’ ll reveal some interesting tidbits regarding their definition of patience .
30. When you’re dining out, is there anything servers do or don’t do that gets on your nerves?
The quality of their answer will reveal their industry experience and give you a sense of their darling peeves. Chances are if they ’ ra annoyed by something, then they ’ ll often do the exact opposite .
31. How would you describe the difference between good customer service and excellent customer service?
Delighting people to encourage recur visits is huge in the restaurant industry. What does “ going the supernumerary mile ” think of to them ?
32. Would you rather miss a deadline to ensure the details are correct or miss a detail to ensure you meet a deadline?
A successful restaurant balances accuracy and accelerate, so the answer here will tell you a lot about their problem-solving skills and priorities .
33. Tell me about a time you knowingly broke the rules at a previous job.
Every restaurant has rules in place for a reason. however, it ’ south important to bend such rules from time to time if it enhances the customer ’ sulfur have .
34. Are you more likely to cover up a mistake or point it out?
integrity is the single most significant quality in a candidate. Any wavering on this wonder might reveal they ’ re not a good match .
35. How do you feel about coming in early, staying late, or picking up an extra shift here and there when we get busy?
Flexibility is everything for a busy restaurant, and knowing upfront how eager they are to work and be a team player will help you make the best hire decision .
Your probe doesn ’ thyroxine have to end when the interview ’ s over. If you get a adept vibration and want to be absolutely certain they have electric potential, then hire them for the weekend. Pay them to spend 20 hours on the speculate with your crew. Let them figure out if it ’ s a paroxysm for them and get feedback from your staff while you ’ re at it. That manner you can validate your hiring decision and won ’ t be wasting anyone ’ sulfur time in the farseeing run .
Restaurant Interview Best Practices
1. Come to the table with specific examples of your accomplishments. Over your career, it ’ s all-important to reflect and notate all of your wins. That way, when you go up for an interview, you can easily rattle off specific customer examples, awards, and other accomplishments that may help you stand out as an ideal campaigner .
2. Dress for the job you want, not the one you have. It ’ randomness rare to overdress for an interview. When in doubt, go dressier than you think. It ’ s specially important if you don ’ t have the skills or experience to trust on. Just because you ’ re a dishwasher immediately doesn ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate think of you can ’ triiodothyronine chute ahead because you dressed nicely, communicated efficaciously, and showed enthusiasm and an readiness to learn .
3. Bring a physical copy of your resume and cover letter. flush if you filled it out on-line, it ’ mho good to have a wallpaper copy they can review as the interview goes on. It shows you ’ re fix, and it puts a confront with your sketch, which may come in handy if they ’ rhenium interviewing dozens of candidates .
4. Bring something to take notes on and use it. lease managers are frequently giving out a lot of details about the function, the restaurant, and advice on how to be successful. Show you ’ ra listen by repeating what they say and jotting it down. It shows enthusiasm for the function and that you value their time and advice .
5. Rehearse a few great interview questions of your own. There ’ s a good prospect they ’ ll ask if you have any questions, and frequently the bore of your questions can help you stand out. Come up with 4-5 questions beforehand, good in case they answer some of yours during the interview. Think outside the box and try to challenge them a bit. Dig deeper than, “ can we wear jeans ? ” Ask about the bigger picture of the restaurant or what the rent director ’ second goals are this year .
6. Follow up with every manager you met. Following up is the one most authoritative thing you can do to stand out. often people will nail the boastful thrust, and the rent director needs little things to decide between candidates. Follow up via e-mail, express gratitude for the opportunity, show exuberance about the candidate of working there, and let them know you ’ re available for any follow-up interviews or questions they may have .
Getting More Done With Restaurant Scheduling Software
once you ’ ve hired new employees, it ’ south vital that you onboard and retain them with the # 1 restaurant scheduling tool : ZoomShift .
The power of ZoomShift enables you to orient new staff to your rules and procedures in minutes, not hours. once you ’ ve added them into the software, instruct them to download ZoomShift on the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store. Both apps are easy to navigate and jammed with useful features .
future up, show them on the app how easy it is to see their agenda, clock-in, log breaks, clock-out, top shifts, and request time off. If you or they have more questions about navigating ZoomShift, head over to our serve site.
Read more: Top 3 interview with questions in 2022
What’s on your go-to list of interview questions? Share your favorites in the comments below: