But, as fewer companies host in-person meetings, a phone interview or a distant video interview often replaces the in-person interview as the critical final stage of the lease march .
There ’ s some confusion around the deviation between a phone screen and a call interview. Companies like Amazon and Google use a phone blind to validate a candidate ’ second abilities before reaching the telephone consultation.
Phone interviews, besides, are becoming more popular — along with Zoom interviews .
While the earphone blind is often shorter, it ’ second no less important than any other step in the rent process. here ’ s what you need to know about these two lease stages and how to ace a telephone interview .
What is a Phone Screen?
typically, a phone screen would be used to assess whether the candidate is who they say they are. unfortunately, about 50 % of candidates lie on their resumes. This is what makes the call screen therefore essential .
The phone screen is the step after you submit an application, but before a code challenge ( if there is one ) — followed by the in-person ( for example, call or video ) interview .
“ A screening interview is typically a 15- to 30-minute earphone call. Your objective here is to narrow your list of crown candidates to the handful you want to consider for dinner dress interviews. That ’ south when you can go deep, ” explain the recruiters at Robert Half .
A telephone screen helps recruiters make certain they ’ re spend prison term interviewing the very best candidates. One technical school recruiter at Amazon found that better phone screening led to a higher casual that a campaigner would successfully pass a later-stage call interview. While the call screen may seem like a minor, less imply step in the lease process, for recruiters earphone screens help eliminate anyone who is distinctly underqualified .
For that reason, it ’ second crucial to be prepared. here are some examples of questions you might be asked :
- Are you still interested/available for this position?
- What attracted you to this open role/company?
- This job requires x skills — can you tell me specifically when you last used these skills?
- What is your ideal working situation (e.g., ability to work remotely, familiarity with remote work platforms, hours)?
Some recruiters will ask you to perform a elementary coding test to make certain you can handle basic coding tasks. It ’ s a thoroughly theme to brush up on some basic gull best practices. Most questions will be wide and general — so show that you know a little about a lot of things .
Read More : 5 Ways to Stand Out & Get Noticed in Your Current Development Job
Read more: Top 7 the who interview questions in 2022
How to Ace a Phone Interview
The call consultation is a more in-depth discussion about your experience, skills, and expectations. It much follows a technical cryptography challenge ; then, for senior software developers, this interview will likely be aimed at understanding your leadership style and soft skills .
here are some distinctive earphone interview questions for elder software developers :
- Are you still writing code? Do you enjoy it?
- Imagine that you are in charge of a legacy code project that is difficult to maintain – how would you approach the project to make maintenance easier in the long run?
- What are the pros and cons of working in an Agile environment?
- What tools and techniques do you use when reviewing a team member’s code?
- What metrics do you use to assess and monitor your team’s performance?
- How would you motivate disengaged employees?
- Tell us about a time when you identified a potential business problem, and then proactively implemented a solution.
- How do you stay up-to-date on new technologies related to full-stack web development?
Recruiters will credibly mix in technical questions with behavioral interview questions and situational-style questions. Prepare as you would for an in-person or remote video interview .
That means researching the company, reading the problem description, reviewing your experience and learning how to speak about your skills and leadership compellingly .
In a earphone interview, it ’ s important to listen and take your cues from the recruiter. Try to carry on a conversation, not a monologue .
Read More : How To Use Social Media Thought Leadership To Level Up Your Developer career
Questions to Ask During a Phone Interview
As you go through the interview, keep a notebook next to you where you can write down questions you have for the interviewer or technical school recruiter at the end of the session. Ask four to five questions to show you ’ re matter to and to get a better understand of the job and the constitution .
As a senior director, you ’ ll want to know what you ’ re walking into when you take on this modern challenge. Consider asking questions like :
- What tech stack is the engineering team currently using?
- What are the biggest challenges facing this team right now?
- Is there room for career growth from this role, and what might that look like?
- How are projects planned and prioritized for this team?
- What metrics will be used to measure my performance?
- What’s the company culture like? How do you work remotely?
just because the interview serve is largely outside doesn ’ metric ton mean you should prepare any less. If anything, the telephone screen door is immediately more important than in previous lease cycles.
Read more: Top 12 interview questionnaires in 2022
Phone interviews, excessively, are becoming more popular — along with Zoom interviews. When you can ’ thyroxine visit an function to meet the team in-person, make certain you ’ re asking the correct questions to help you visualize what it would be like to join the party .
ultimately, remember to send a thank you email after your interview !
For more advice, insight, and tips for finding a software growth job or progressing in your career, head back over to the Arc web log !